Tree Removal Using a Friction Drum and Rigging
The Tree Smith was called upon to aid in the removal of this dead standing barrel (probably cut and left like this ten years ago or more). There was a service line and a house within striking distance below, the tree was on a steep embankment and was also unstable due to fungus rot and termites.
Various equipment and techniques were employed to bring the trunk down in a safe and controlled manner.
- Standing dead tree trunk to be removed.
- Mat is suspended from skyline for safety.
- Rigging on a two to one mechanical advantage for strength and safety.
- View of the various rigging from below
- The friction drum is secured to a neighbouring live tree.
- Friction drum and rigging is now used to prevent remaining trunk sliding down bank when felled.
- Directional cut being inserted.
- Felling lever being used to clean out directional cut.
- Ready for the back cut.
- The back cut being inserted.
- The barrel is now safely on the ground and ready for processing.